
Being raised in a christian home I learned the Old Testament stories about how the Jews were held captive in Egypt, how Moses grew in Pharoah's house to the point where he had to finally make a decision, to stay in Pharoah's house or embrace his heritage and make a difference. We all all know the outcome and the struggle for freedom the Jews faced. I always heard the stories and thought, those people certainly had it rough. But it was like it happened to someone else, some other people. Until my son married a girl whose father is Jewish.
For the last few years, since we have been associated with my daughter-in-law's family, I have been invited to join them for Seder, the feast that commemorates the Jews struggle for freedom. We read from the Torah and perform ceremonies that symbolize the different problems they faced. While sipping the foul-tasting wine (4 sips max)and eating the bitter herbs and matza I feel like I've been transported, a little bit like "Adventures in Odyssey" back to the time when the blood was placed on the doorpost, when Egypt was overcome by the plagues of locusts and frogs, when the Jews finally escaped across the Red Sea to stand and watch the Sea close over the army of Pharoah that sought to bring them back to slavery.
The Jewish people have these ceremonies to remember, to keep fresh in their minds the miracles that God performed for them, to pass on to the next generation the history that makes them who they are. Lest they forget...
I really enjoy the whole Seder evening, the traditions, the food, the sense of family and continuity it brings. And it's a time to reflect on what Christ did for us, how he became our sacrifice and the veil was rent in the temple to allow us Gentiles to have a part of Him. because it falls just before Easter, the Christian celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Mazel Tov!
No comments:
Post a Comment