Friday, April 24, 2009

Humble Pie


Humble pie is something you eat when you've made a mistake and need to correct it. It means apologizing and/or asking forgiveness of the person you have offended. In other words, humbling yourself to them.

I've eaten some humble pie in my time and it's not very tasty. In fact, I don't care for the taste of it at all. However, it's like the vegetables mom made you eat that you didn't like. The end result was worth the discomfort.

However, there is a humble pie that you eat because it's the right thing to do, whether or not you've actually made a mistake. It's a humble pie you eat for the sake of smoothing out a relationship in case you might see that person again and don't want bad feelings involved. A humble pie for the greater good. It doesn't taste any better than the regular humble pie, but it's a little easier to swallow.

I will be eating some of that kind of humble pie in the near future. It can't be put off very long, and it won't be fun. But it will be worth it if it works.

Your humble servant...

2 comments:

karo said...

Ah yes, humble pie, not a tasty treat, but once topped with the "sugar" of peace, can be made sweet! Go for it!

Stephanie said...

Is this type of pie made with crow? If so, I have tasted of it before. Dating and marrying David meant I had to eat some since I had previously voiced my opposition to doing so. He likes to remind me of my crow consumption sometimes in fun. Oh well...all's well that ends well, right?