Thursday, March 6, 2008

Poetry in Motion

Poems have played a big part in my life. Since I was a very young child I loved poetry and rhyming verses. By the time I reached Fifth grade I was even invited to participate in recitals at school. Public speaking terrifies me. But there is something about reciting someone else's words, beautiful words, words that hold meaning for the reader as well as the writer, that calmed my fears and allowed me to perform poem after poem. I still remember those poems from my childhood and many more that I have memorized in my lifetime.

I have even written a few of my own when the occasion inspired me. My father, a minister, would come to me with a thought for a sermon and ask me to think about writing a poem for him to read. I was proud to have him recite my work. Proud that he thought enough of it to want to read it in front of the congregation. God inspired me from time to time and it's always a thrill when the words come together. It might be a poem for a loved one's funeral or anniversary, my niece's wedding, poems about my son growing up or a humorous Thanksgiving poem for the family bulletin. Life, as it comes along, written in prose.

So, I've decided to share some of my favorites with you. I doubt that you will see any that I've written show up on this blog...but you never know...

What are your favorite poems?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've hit a soft spot with me today. I, like you, have always loved poetry.
I have many favorites. Here are a few of them:
-The House by the Side of the Road
By, Sam Walter Foss
-How Did You Die?
By, Edmund Vance Cooke
-The Duel
By, Eugene Field
-Jest 'Fore Christmas
By, Eugene Feild
-The Flag Goes By
By, Henry Hocomb Bennett
-America for Me
By, Henry Van Dyke

I do hope to see a few of your poems here! You have some good ones. I've always said you should be a writer. I have the desire, but not the talent. You have the talent. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you must have seen the advanced list of the poems I was going to put on here...those are some of my favorites, too! Luigi

Anonymous said...

That is probably because we were exposed to a lot of the same books...One in particular. :-)

SheGazelle said...

I have that book!