Friday, January 4, 2008

Dave Would Be So Proud

While at work today a co-worker was talking about a $650.00 purse she was going to save up and buy. The conversation followed it's due course until we were bemoaning the stupidity of people who use credit cards to make those outrageous purchases which only adds interest to the already astronomical cost.

My co-worker proceeded to explain that she wanted go to get one of "those credit card companies" to pay her bills for her because she couldn't figure out a budget. to which I calmly said, "Oh, you don't want to do that. They will only charge you money for what you could do yourself".

She was sceptical at first until I began to lay out The Total Money Makeover plan without ever mentioning Dave Ramsey or the fact that I had read a book. These would have been complete turn-offs for her and the conversation would have died. Instead I was able to discover her interests and talk her into a part time job to pay off the debt and a plan to save an emergency fund so that credit cards are not necessary.

Her argument was that she was too "retarded" to manage it. But we figured out that her significant other is very good at money management and very trustworthy so I encouraged her to take one "date night" and make it a budget night so that she would have peace of mind from then on.

I don't know if I made a difference or not, only time will tell. But I think I stopped at least one more person from heading even farther down the road to debt. Thanks Dave!

2 comments:

SheGazelle said...

Yeah, I was talking to a broke coworker yesterday about his woes. Sometimes it's a difficult subject to discuss with people- especially us Ramsey fans who are so keen on these common sense principles. My thought was to gift this person with a TMM audio book, but I've got no idea how to present it. Guess I will just donate to this person after I get rich.

Anonymous said...

$650 dollar purse??? I'd rather have a $12 dollar purse with $638 in cash stashed in the zipper! Oh well, different strokes...
Glad to know that she's at least savin for it...