Thursday, January 3, 2008

Life After the Holidays

After the hustle and bustle of the Holidays most of us are ready for some time to relax, some food that does not include sugar and a respite from our wonderful family and friends. I think I spend more time with my family, consume more calories and sleep less in the last quarter than I do all of the rest of the year combined. It's a time of year I look forward to all year long and then what a relief when life goes back to normal. For a few days, anyway.

Except normal for me is not relaxing or respiteful in the least. Since I work in accounting, the busiest time of our year is the first two weeks in January. Scrambling to get all the sales for the previous year in before we close out the books for the year. Deadlines are met by whatever method is necessary which usually includes long hours of overtime and no relaxing! And ordering in pizza for the hard workers is a small reward. I usually dread the "final push" as we call it. But not this year...

What's different about this year? This year I am on a budget with a rolling snowball of debt and I am looking forward to all that overtime revenue to help me shrink that debt! I have no bills from credit card gifts to atone for because Christmas was planned ahead and completely cash this year. I am excited to see just how much of the debt I can get rid of with the extra cash from the overtime and how much closer I am to being debt free. Thanks to The Total Money Makeover and it's author, Dave Ramsey, January will be a great month for me.

No comments: