Monday, May 4, 2009

Meatloaf Surprise

Last night I cooked dinner for my son, his wife, her mother and her sister. Of course,I hadn't planned on the "outlaws" but when they became a part of the gathering it wasn't a problem. I know them well enough, and like them well enough that it didn't bother me to have them join us at the last minute. And besides, my daughter-in-law had requested meatloaf...not rocket science.

However, as these things usually go, I was unable to feel completely sure of myself. When I went to pick up the ground beef I found a terrific "reduced for quick sale" bargain of 2.82 pounds of lean ground beef for $.99 a pound, or $2.79! What a deal! I needed more than the 1 lb. I usually buy for the three of us so I went for it with glee...until I began to figure out my recipe times 2.82...it's not like I would be able to taste the meat before it was cooked to know if the seasoning was right (yuk)so I just eyeballed it and did my best. The other thing that threw me off was that the butter I intended to use for the mashed potatoes came out of my son's refrigerator and lo and behold....unsalted butter! Now potatoes require quite a bit of salt anyway so this was not a happy coincidence. But I eyeballed it again and at least in this instance was able to taste before serving the mashed potatoes and I think it turned out all right. The salad couldn't be messed up...spinach leaves, diced tomatoes and feta cheese...no problem.

It must have been good (or else everyone was famished) because the food disappeared with no complaints and a few sighs of contentment. Mother Outlaw is very fat and salt conscious so I wondered (not fretted, I mean, she crashed my party, right?) if the food would suit her. But I watched her clean up a good sized portion of everything so I think it went over well. It was the first time I had ever cooked for her in all the years I have known her although I've eaten at her table several times. She can cook circles around me when it comes to Mexican food, but for good old American down home cooking I know I've got her beat (I've tasted hers!).

We had a great time and my son thanked me over and over again (for more than just the food) and I went home happy.

No comments: