Thursday, July 17, 2008

No vacation in sight....


It seems that everyone in my office is planning or has already gone on a vacation this summer. I, in the other hand, am not planning any time away from work. It's very heart wrenching to go to work day after day and realize that it will be a long time before you've racked up enough vacation hours to have a decent vacation.

I think it's harder for me because I used to have lots and lots of time away from the grind. After 20 years I had built up 4 weeks vacation, besides holidays and sick time, so it seemed I always had a surplus of days off to choose from. While I am not, I repeat NOT, complaining about my job the one drawback that I notice is that I never seem to have enough time off. Every week I turn in that 40 hours time card and the green on the vacation thermometer moves up just a hair.

It wouldn't be so bad if my co-workers weren't all taking off for places like Hawaii, the River, Bass Lake and Yosemite and coming back with wonderful stories to tell. And as I get older I realize there is a reason you get more vacation the longer you stay with a company...by the time you've worked up to 4 weeks you need it because you're old!

At this point I can only reiterate THANK GOD FOR BOOKS! It seems that my travels in imagination are the only ones I'll be having for awhile.

Hanging in there....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! Vacations seem to elude me too.

Lets see... the palm tree from the party, a blow up pool, a cold glass of ice tea, a book and some Luau music?? Call it a backyard imagination vacation maybe??
Hey, it's just a thought. lol

Oh, I almost forgot the food! Ya gotta have good food on vacation. Have fun! Wish I could join ya!

Anonymous said...

You could vacation in a town I know called Fresno. There's a place that offers free lodging, free book reading chairs and free on site tour guides to show you to the city's attractions.
I bet no one at your work has thought of that destination!

A.L. said...

I do vacation in Fresno frequently, but usually in the fall. I found the most marvelous Inn there that offers the best accomodations at a very good price and the Inn keepers are the best! I haven't taken the tour yet, but maybe next time I'm there I'll ask about it. Thanks for the tip! I'm positive no one from my job has thought of that vacation spot!