Thursday, February 7, 2008

Old Age Creeping Up On Me

In a few weeks I will be another year older. Am I wiser? Maybe. I read enough to become wiser, but am I reading the right things? That's another blog...

I'm thinking old age is relevant to how you feel and some days I could be 92. There are those mornings when getting out of bed is a really bad way to start the day. Sadly, although there are a lot of things I love about my job, there is never enough time off when you need it. Other days I am up and raring to go just as if I was 10 years younger. Those days are becoming fewer and fewer as the years go by.

Being older means that I don't plan as many things to do in one day as I used to. A trip to Target could be the highlight of the evening instead of just one stop in a list of errands. If all the errands are within a two block radius I think I can accomplish all of them in one trip, otherwise...well, I'll take care of that errand another day. My son says I could never leave the city because I love the convenience of having all my stops within a mile of my house. In fact, the grocery store, post office, bank and Library are all within that area.

You might think this convenience is laziness or a lack of ambition, but I think I just like to be at home. I enjoy being at home more than just about anywhere in the world. If that's what it means to be old..well then I'm ready for it. Give me a pair of fuzzy slippers, (my feet get cold more easily these days), a soft chair, a cup of tea and a good book. I'm as happy as a clam. If that's what it's like to be older, well then I think I've worked for it and I'm ready to enjoy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my...I see myself in most of what you wrote in this post.
Either that means I'm getting old or I'm turning into my aunt! :-)
hehehehe