Thursday, December 20, 2007

Friends

This has been an eventful week and mostly because I have friends. They say if you find one true friend in your lifetime then you are fortunate and if you find two, then you are truly blessed. I have had many friends in my life. Not just acquaintances, but true friends. I usually only have one or two at a time, but throughout the years of my life I have been blessed with many true friendships. Environment and circumstances have caused us to drift apart, but if one friendship is lost through distance or circumstance another one seems to spring up in it's place. I don't take friendships lightly, I treasure them. And for that reason I have laughed and cried this week.

I spent most of Tuesday at the funeral of a friend who meant a lot to me even though we were not that close. It was a very sad day and it certainly took a toll on my psyche. I lost sleep over the dread of attending the funeral because it's something I've had to do a lot of and it doesn't get any easier. On the bright side, one of my closest friends went to the funeral with me and we saw many of our friends and acquaintances that we hadn't seen for a long time. I embraced many people that have become a part of my life through my work in the traffic signal business. It turned out to be a "not so bad" day because of my friends.

On Thursday I had dinner with my children and another of my closest friends, the woman who is like a grandmother to my son and helped me raise him. We oohed and ahhed over my son's wedding pictures and the photos of her grandchildren. We shared a wonderful dinner reminiscing about my son's growing up years. But most of all we celebrated our friendship, something I treasure very much.

Friends cost us something from time to time, but they also bring us some of the happiest moments of our lives. I am thankful for friends.

No comments: